Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Time is on my side"...or is it??

As of late, I have become a believer of the notion that too much time can be the perfect opportunity for a catastrophe. All too often we hear those we know complain of not having enough time. I can't deny that I have not been a frequent complainer of my limited "free time." But, my new lifestyle as a young and independent working professional has led to quite an alteration to my previous perception.

When before I could not find enough time for myself, I now do all I can to avoid the impending hours of solitude. I have always been a person that is very much dependent upon my personal relationships, be they with family, friends or a "significant other." not only do they provide the moral support and a friendly ear (as I seem to frequently need), sometimes just having a familiar warm body in the seat next to you in the car or the couch while watching TV, can lift my mood exponentially.

As much as I believe I prefer company to solitude simply because I easily find myself feeling lonely; I now realize that limiting my "alone time" has proved beneficial for what may be a much more important reason.

Every minute that a person sits idly and without company is yet another opportunity for them to readdress and reassess the events of the past. As a highly critical and analytical over-thinker, more time for reverie is the absolute last thing I need more of. (Yes I finished a sentence in a preposition, so shot me MLA diehards)

Each moment that provides me the chance to re-think someone's speech, recent text message, or body language is another chance for me to second-guess my initial (and historically speaking, more valid) evaluation of the incident. With enough time on their hands, just about anyone is liable to drive themselves mad.

Statistics show that just like the Irish, people of high intelligence are more probable to succumb to drug and alcohol abuse.

Now, to softly toot my own horn, I'm in the sharper group of the tools in the proverbial shed. So, to alot myself further time to over-analyze every syllable my friend said three hours ago, is sure to drive me crazy, and most likely to a fond taste for beer and whisky, as a means to shut my brain off. (Wait, hmm...that's already sort of happening)

My general point is that though time can be a terrible thing to waste, many times putting it to use can prove to be more detrimental in the general scheme of things. It perhaps might be better to use excess time for the purposes of perfecting thumb-twiddling techniques or honing advanced teeth-picking strategies instead.

Perhaps I'm saying that I'd rather spend a couple of hours glued to the boob-tube than in deep concentration. I'd rather fry some brain cells than let them push me to the edge of utter confusion.

HAPPY THINKING EVERYONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment